Thursday 2 July 2015

Arjun Kapoor: Women Characters Onscreen Have Become Fantastic


 



Indian actor Arjun Kapoor feels that interesting roles are being written for actresses today.
“People keep asking about women-oriented films. I like to say that nice characters are being written for actresses rather than saying that women-oriented films are being made,” Arjun told reporters here at a book launch event July 1.
“That is a new kind of conversation, but these (roles for women) have been around for many years. Women characters onscreen have become fantastic,” the 30-year-old actor said.
The “Gunday” actor was speaking on the sidelines of the launch of “Me, Mia, Multiple,” penned by Debashish Irengbam. Noted writer-lyricist Javed Akhtar was also present at the event.
“Our industry has now realized the value of good writers. There was a phase when a lot of things got lost, and we tried to put masala ingredients into cinema, and there were a lot of things that went haywire. But I do see that a lot of things are changing now,” he said.
Before becoming an actor, Kapoor said he did try writing, as he wanted to become a director.
“I tried writing, because I wanted to be a director, but I wasn’t good at it. My mind ran faster than my hands could, because I thought of too many things. I wanted to encompass everything into one script. I realized that I am not good at it. I did not dwell on it again,” he added.
Kapoor does think there are novels that can be turned into feature films and that it is time the Indian film industry explores this.
“Today ‘Lord of the Rings’ and ‘Harry Potter’ have been turned into films. India needs visionaries like that, not only to write it but to execute it as well. There are so many ideas that exist in our mythology,” he said.
Kapoor added that he does not like reading books: “I have never had the appetite to read novels. But I can read scripts. I had not read ‘Two States’ also, because I did not want to read it and become influenced by it.”

More

No comments:

Post a Comment